Delight in the magic of Christmas with a historical twist at Christmas in the Valley!
“This event is a hands-on live history experience of an authentic 19th century German-American Christmas in Schaumburg,” said Patricia Kennedy Green, farm program supervisor. “Families will enjoy a break from the rush of the holidays and be able to choose from many activities!”
Demonstrations will include:
• Traditional German-American holiday dinner preparation at the farmhouse
• Historic toy making at the farmhouse
• Leather working at the farmhouse
• Traditional holiday carols and decorations at the farmhouse
• Wood chopping at the smokehouse
• Meat smoking at the smokehouse
• Blacksmithing at the toolhouse
• Historic band performance at the Farm Visitor Center
Activities will include:
• Reindeer food preparation at the Farm Visitor Center
• Roasting marshmallows at the firepit
• Holiday crafts at Merkle Cabin
• Visit with livestock at the barn
• Visit with Father Christmas/St. Nick at Merkle Cabin
Ticket sales will be available at the Farm Visitor Center and Merkle Cabin. Food and refreshments will be available for purchase at Merkle Cabin.
Cost is $3 per person and $12 per family. Children 3 and younger are free. Parking is available at the Nature Center, 1111 E. Schaumburg Road. A wagon shuttle will transport attendees from the Nature Center to Merkle Cabin.
For more information, call 847-985-2100 or click here.